The quilting course is available to beginners and advanced learners developing skills in all things quilting.
The course will include learning new sewing skills and techniques used within quilting to make your own projects, small crafts or samples. You will learn how to cut fabric using the correct equipment, make various blocks from templates or patterns using the correct use of colour, hand quilting techniques as well as machine quilting will also be taught during the sessions.
Further skills such as appliques, trapunto, pictures and embroidery can also be developed as an individual depending upon your own skill and knowledge.
Small samples will be made to develop sewing skills depending upon the topic for the week chosen by the tutor.
The quilting course will cover various methods and skills but there is a lot to learn in quilting, therefore this will depend upon the level of the learner attending the course and how they wish to develop their personal skills. Tutor will respect this at all times.
No previous experience, knowledge, or qualifications are needed. Beginners to advanced learners are welcome.
Learners will work on their own projects for the majority of the session with one to one tutor support.
Learners will be gathered at the start of each session for group activity or demonstration to develop learning. Peer/group support promoted. (approx. 20mins)
Items to bring or wear to classes include:
- Basic sewing kit including scissors, pins, thread, needles, measures
- Cutting equipment such as rotary cutter, cutting mat, perspex ruler (optional but recommended for quilting)
- Own sewing machine (optional)
- Fabrics and materials for own projects (discussed on first session)
Depending upon what the learners wish to make as part of their projects further costs can be incurred due the fabrics/materials needed.
What you can progress to:
- Continue with quilting course to advance skills (there is lots to learn!)
- Dressmaking course
- Further courses in sewing at A Class Community Learning
- Progress to a qualification in Further Education courses in sewing.
|Time||07:00 PM - 09:00 PM|
|Number of Weeks||10|
St. Andrew’s United Reform Church
Gypsy Lane, Cypress Rd